What to do if I paid off a car but the previous owner is claiming that I still owe money onit?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I paid off a car but the previous owner is claiming that I still owe money onit?

I have a clear clean title to the car in my name; no loans or liens on it. I have paid it off but he wants more money now. What are my rights and do I need to be worried about owing money or losing the car?

Asked on August 9, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have registered title to the car in your name that you purchased from the prior owner and there are no prior liens or loans connected with it while previously owned, you have no obligations to the prior owner assuming you paid him or her all that was owed in its purchase.

Keep copies of all letters received from the prior owner, notes from telephone calls, and e mails.

You need to write the prior owner a short and detailed letter asking for the specifics as to why he or she claims you owe additional monies on it after payment in full was made. Keep a copy of the letter sent for future need.

The worst thing that could happen is being sued by the prior owner. However, by being vigilant and setting up a paper trail against the prior owner, if you are sued, you will be in a better posiiton to defend the claim at trial.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption