What to do if I paid ahead for many laser treatments from a laser skincare company that went out of business?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I paid ahead for many laser treatments from a laser skincare company that went out of business?

They very abruptly went out of business and I have many outstanding treatments for which I’ve paid but which I have not received. I have been unable to contact them (the phone numbers they provided don’t seem to be in service). What can I do to get my money back?

Asked on January 30, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You might not be able to get your money back, unfortunately.

If the company was not a corporation ("inc.") or limited liability company ("LLC"), you could sue the owner(s) personally for the return of your money and possibly collect from their personal assets or income (e.g. by putting  lien on their home) if the don't pay voluntarily.

But if the company was a corporation or LLC, you can only try to collect from (sue) the company itself. If it is no longer in business, it may not have any income or assets to collect from--so even if you won the lawsuit, you would not get money if there is no money there. And if the corporation or LLC was dissolved, then you can't even sue--the thing you'd be suing no longer exists.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption