What to do if I cannot get a mover to deliver my possessions?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I cannot get a mover to deliver my possessions?

I moved across the country over 3 months ago and hired a mover to truck all my belongings across the country. We agreed 1-2 weeks would work. However, I still don’t have my stuff and he refuses to cooperate. He dumped all of my belongings into a storage unit he opened in his name. None of the police departments I’ve contacted have helped; they all say it is out of their jurisdiction. The storage unit facility won’t let me in cause it’s in his name.

Asked on September 8, 2014 under Criminal Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You sue him. You file a lawsuit against him on several grounds: for breach of contract (not doing what he agreed to do), for fraud and/or consumer fraud (intentionally lying about what he would or could do in order to get you to sign up with him), and/or for conversion (basically theft). In the lawsuit you can seek a court order requiring him to return your belongings and/or monetary compensation for the value of your belongings. You probably should hire an attorney to assist you in doing this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption