What to do if I’m under 18 and just came to US for 10 months but got caught shoplifting?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m under 18 and just came to US for 10 months but got caught shoplifting?

They then searched my bag and found out that I stole a pair of shoes and a hat from 2 other different stores. The police were called and I was taken me to the police office where they took my info again. Since I’m under 18, they called my mom to take me home. They give my mom and I a paper that said notice to appear – juvenile delinquency court. I also got a civil demand notice. I don’t have money to get a private lawyer. This is my first time so I’m really nervous.

Asked on January 2, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since you have no money for a private lawyer you need to consult with the public defender in your locality or legal aid for a defense. If convicted of the charge there is a very god chance that you will be extradited from the United States because of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption