What can I do if I just moved into an HOA community that forbids any businesses but my neighbor is running one?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I just moved into an HOA community that forbids any businesses but my neighbor is running one?

However, my neighbor has a business resurfacing jeep floors with her boyfriend who does not even live in the community. The noise is minimal but sometimes her helpers park in front of my house and block my mailbox. Also, one neighbor is in on it too. Another thing to worry about. I checked briefly the state department website for her name to see if her business is registered but I don’t see it listed. Nor do I see any advertisement for her business. I am of the belief that she is doing this without a license or a zoning permit. Since this is an HOA community that forbids any business, I am certain she does not have a permit. However, my fear is going to the Board which she may know someone there. Had I known that there was commerce being conducted there, I would not have purchased the home. Can you please give me advice on this matter?

Asked on July 4, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If you believe that what they are doing is in violation of zoning, contact the city to report this--the city can fine them if they are violating zoning ordinances.
2) You could ask your board to enforce its own rules, but if you believe that will not help or that they will retaliate against you, that doesn't give you any options to enforce them--the board can enforce them, but you cannot directly. So you need to decide if you are willing to bring this to the board.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption