What to do if I hit someone and I have no insurance?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I hit someone and I have no insurance?

I hit someone from behind at a very low speed. There were no injuries. I do not have insurance. I planned to just pay but received what I thought was a wildly bloated estimate. What are my options in this situation?

Asked on January 3, 2011 under Accident Law, Wyoming


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should consult with an attorney in your area on the matter just in case that you are sued.  Even if there were no injuries as you allege it dos not mean that there will not be a personal injury action against you.  You should also consult with the attorney about preparing a release for the alleged damage to the vehicle that the other party will sign once the damage is fixed and paid for.  Now, you need to approach this very carefully. First, you need pictures of the damage asap.  You should seek out a body shop that you trust and ask the party that you hit if they could please take the vehicle in to the shop to get another estimate because you fear that the shop they took it to is trying to take advantage of them (not of you but that is really what you mean).  If they refuse and you refuse to pay it then they will sue you and you will need pictures and another estimate as well. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption