I have Texas license but has been suspended in NC for over 7 yrs, what do i do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have Texas license but has been suspended in NC for over 7 yrs, what do i do?

Im a US Veteran i was stationed in NC over 7 years ago and received traffic
violations that were left a float due to deployments. Can someone point me in the
right direction.

Asked on October 14, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Texas has pacts with most states wherein they will agree to honor another state's suspension....however, seven years is a long suspension, even by Texas standards.
Your starting point is the state where the tickets were incurred.  It will really be cheaper to hire a ticket attorney and let them negotiate the best deal possible for you that does not involve a suspension or involves a lifting of the suspension....the idea being that it's actually been suspended longer than required by statute.  I'm suggesting a ticket attorney because they can usually get in fairly quickly to talk to the prosecutor.  They can also handle things, as a general rule, without you having to be physically present.  Often this is cheaper than flying or driving to the other state for multiple court appearances. 
You can try to represent yourself. Start by trying to call the municipal prosecutor and see what you can get worked out over the phone.  If they will not return your call, (which frequently happens), you will need to get it set for a court hearing.
Once you get the tickets resolved, you can then pay the required fees to get your license reinstated.  Those fees will be first to the other state's license agency... who will then send you verification of compliance that you can use to get your license reinstated in Texas.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption