What to do if I have been contacted by code enforcement for illegal dumping butit hasno evidence of me actually committing the crime?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have been contacted by code enforcement for illegal dumping butit hasno evidence of me actually committing the crime?

Code Enforcement called me 2 days ago threatening me that I was going to get ticketed for $3,000 for illegal dumping. The only evidence CE has is that I was paid to take the loads away. What should I do?

Asked on June 17, 2011 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should get a lawyer to represent you. It may be possible to either fight the case and win, if the other side's evidence is too weak (though the evidence you site is fairly strong; if you were paid to take the loads away and they can prove it, they can essetially prove that you were responsible for what was done with them), if they obtained the evidence illegally (if this is a criminal, not civil, enforcement action), or if you have evidence in your favor. Alternately, it may be possible to bargain or negotiate to a lesser offense or penalty. In any event, having a lawyer will greatly increase your chance of a favorable outcome.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption