If I have a statement or image that can be printed on an athletic shirt, how can I protect my idea so I can present it to a company?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a statement or image that can be printed on an athletic shirt, how can I protect my idea so I can present it to a company?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) You can copyright the artwork (the image) and the statement, assuming that such is copyrightable (basically, that it's original to you). An intellectual property attorney can do this for you.

2) In addition, have any prospective manufacturer, business partner, distributor, etc. sign a non-disclosure agreement *before* you present them anything. The agreement will acknowledge that the design, intellectual property, etc. you are about to present belongs to you; that it is being presented only for the purpose of evaluating a business venture; that the company may not use it for its own benefit nor provide it to anyone else without your express permission; and that on the conclusion of discussions or negotiations, they will return all materials to you and destroy any copies they have. Your attorney can draft this agreement for you, too. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption