If I have a greedy sister and brother, is there any way they could have another Trust or Will drawn up?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a greedy sister and brother, is there any way they could have another Trust or Will drawn up?

Mom has a irrevocable trust I’m the trustee and power of attorney of this Trust. My mom just passed yesterday.

Asked on January 17, 2019 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, they cannot have another trust drawn up legally--we suppose they could try to present forged or fraudulent trust documents, the same way anyone could try to forge documens or commit a crime, but in terms of legal rights or power:
1) Nobody can create or modify a trust for your mother but your mother, and if she passed, then nobody can do this.
2) An "irrevocable" trust is exactly what it sounds like--irrevocable. It cannot be changed or modified.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption