Can I be reimbursed for cleaning/repairing my deceased parent’s home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be reimbursed for cleaning/repairing my deceased parent’s home?

Last parent had will but no tod on home. Going through probate. 2 executors on will.
Both agreed to repair house ourselves but the other executor 4 other benificiarys
did not help. I am the executor who put in approx. 300 hrs cleaning out left over
furniture not wanted, fixing toliet sink leaks, shampooing carpet, ect. to improve
sell of home. I know I get executor pay but this was not executor work. The others
said would help but had excuses to not show up. Can I be reimbusted after estate

Asked on January 17, 2019 under Estate Planning, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot be reimbursed for your time: whether you consider it it "executor work" or not, as executor, your sole compensation for anything and everything you do for the estate is your pay as executor. You can be reimbursed as an estate expense for any out-of-pocket expenses (e.g. cleaning supplies; plumbing supplies; etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption