Is there some waya lender can release the title of my car showing them as lienholder so that I can registerit in my new state?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there some waya lender can release the title of my car showing them as lienholder so that I can registerit in my new state?

I have a car title loan in AZ. I relocated to OH and need to register my car in my new state. The lender won’t release the title until I pay off the loan. That will take many months. In the meantime, my car registration expires next month.

Asked on June 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you have a car title loan, the whole point is that you have offered your motor vehicle title as security (and hence the car as security) for the money. Your car title loan lender is absolutely correct in what it is telling you so you really cannot register the motor vehicle anywhere else without payment, unless your state in which you obtained the loan has the following statutes: 1) requires licensure of this company and the company is not licensed or 2) cannot prevent you from registering the vehicle in another state or 3) allows you to register the vehicle in another state while making the necessary installment payments.  Further, you can see if the state to which you have moved has licensed this entity. If not, that entity may need to be licensed to continue to service the loan and that state may not prohibit you from registering the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption