How best to file a wage garnishment?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to file a wage garnishment?

I had a third mortgage for a pool. The house got foreclosed on 2 years ago. I initially was told that an AZ statute protected me from liability because the loan was used for home improvement. The bank resubmitted their claim and won (I didn’t respond again not knowing I needed to). Now they are trying to garnish my wages (I don’t work). Do I ask for a hearing to try and fight this (on what grounds?) Just ignore it? File for bankruptcy, Chapter 13 or 7?

Asked on June 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Were you sued in Arizona or in Arkansas, where you have written the question from?  I would consult with an attorney in your area and bring the paperwork with you.  If you intend on trying to fight the lawsuit then you have to make a motion to vacate the default.  That means that you have to go down to the courthouse where the matter was filed and ask the clerk to make a motion to vacate the default.  You will need to present an affidavit of a meritorious defense (the Arizona statute may possibly help but one would have to read it to be sure).  Additionally, you are going to have to file the necessary paperwork in Arkansas to stop the garnishment.  AS for bankruptcy, there you need to sit down with someone who can analyze your entire situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption