What my rights regarding child support for my 19 year old son who drinks and a mother that allows this to happen under her roof?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What my rights regarding child support for my 19 year old son who drinks and a mother that allows this to happen under her roof?

I have a 19 to son that lives with his mother. She allowed him to quit school at age 16. He has a full-time job but has had a few underage drinking tickets over the past few years. This past summer he got another and was arrested for DWI. He continues to drink everyday, I know this from his many posts and pic of him with drinks in hand. He and his friends drunk at his mothers house and she is well awAre he is drinking all the time.

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Family Law, New York


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should have tried to obtain custody of the child long ago.  At this point, you can try to do so based upon the mother's inability to parent.  You can also seek termination of support because he has full-time job and apparently doesn't want to have a relationship with you.    You should hire an experienced family lawyer in New York to assist you.

Also licensed in New York.  Answer applies to New York.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption