I have 2 questions 1st I owe the IRS can i file bankruptcy against that money 2nd my only veical is a motercycle can they take it?

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have 2 questions 1st I owe the IRS can i file bankruptcy against that money 2nd my only veical is a motercycle can they take it?

I know that I can file against some of the money I owe the IRS but how many years back does it start also I own no property the only means of transportation I have is a 2003 motorcycle worth about 3000.00 can they take it when I file??

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


LAR, Member CA State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you have IRS issues, you should consult a qualified bankruptcy attorney.  There are debts that cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy and monies owed the IRS is one of these.  There are very particular rules about this kind of debt and you should be aware that it will involve court proceedings to adjudicate your ultimate obligation. 

The Bankruptcy Code allows for Federal and State exemptions of property that you may keep and creditors cannot touch.  If you use the motorcycle to get to work and other necessary activity, you will be able to keep it.  An attorney can properly advise you as to whether on the application of exemptions in your State.  Since there is IRS debt involved here, you should seek assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption