DoI need a criminal lawyer to petion to have the felony dropped or is this somethingthat Ican do myself?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DoI need a criminal lawyer to petion to have the felony dropped or is this somethingthat Ican do myself?

This was over 4 years ago. I had a felony conviction and my plea bargain stated that after I completed my probation and other terms,  I could have my felony dropped. In Porter County, IN.

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It is good to see that you have completed the terms of your probation and are looking to start fresh.  I think that what you mean is you wish to have the felony arrest and conviction sealed or expunged.(erased).  You were convicted of the crime after a plea bargain.  The term "dropped" usually insinuates that there is no actual conviction but dismissal after probation is complete.  I would definitely seek help with this.  Some types of felonies can not be expunged and you may have to wait a certain amount of time to make the motion before a judge. It varies from state to state.  But a criminal attorney that does this type of thing would best be able to tell you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption