If I had a knee replacement 4 years ago, can I sue for malpractice or have I gone beyond the statute of limitations?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a knee replacement 4 years ago, can I sue for malpractice or have I gone beyond the statute of limitations?

I had 3 knee replacements in an 18 month period of time, each one was to correct a problem from the total knee replacement prior. The last one was done 4 years ago. I have been in pain since that last one and continue to increase. Had xrays done last month and showed that the knee cap is sitting completely to the side of my knee, not where it is suppose to be which is in the middle of my knee.

Asked on August 3, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, too much time has gone by, based on what you have written. The statute of limitations, or time within which to sue, for medical malpractice in your state is 2 years. It can be extended if--and only if--you could not discover there was a problem at first; but you write that you had "been in pain since that last one" 4 years ago, which means that you had reason to get examined or X-rayed years ago, and no reason you had to wait. Under those circumstances, the court would most likely conclude that the statute of limitations has expired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption