If I got into a fender bender over a month ago, can the other driver still claim the accident?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got into a fender bender over a month ago, can the other driver still claim the accident?

We exchanged insurance information but the police were not called and no accident report was made.

Asked on December 2, 2015 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the other driver can seek compensation from you up to three (3) years after the accident in your state. You can refuse to pay, in which case she could sue you--she is not required to put in a claim to her insurer, but rather may seek the money from you. However, you would only have to pay if you were at-fault in causing the accident--for example, you had been driving negligently, or carelessly. To get money from you if you refuse to pay voluntarily, she would have to sue you and prove in court by a "preponderance of the evidence" (that it is more likely than not) that you were at fault in causing the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption