What to do if I got an underage drinking ticket this weekend?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got an underage drinking ticket this weekend?

I was on the street when my designated driver came to pick me up. I got in the car, and the police stopped her because she had an out headlight. Then 2 cops walked up, 1 to my door and 1 to the driver door and asked us if we had been drinking. She said “No”, while I said “Yes”. The policeman asked me to step out of the car and patted me down, and asked for my age. I said 19. He asked if I wanted a breathlizer, and I refused. He then took me to his vehicle and wrote me a ticket and sent me on my way. I was very compliant with the officer. From this point I am wondering what my next step should be. I am hoping to call the DA, and ask to take an AODA class and get the charges dropped. What do I say?

Asked on March 12, 2013 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should really consult with some one on this matter either an attorney or your parents or any adult that you trust.  An underage drinking conviction could have an affect on your license but what ever you are charged with could be reduced if you do enter in to some form of alcohol program and then it may have very little impact on your life.  But one needs to read the ticket and the code under the violation.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption