If I got an MIP, is there anyway to have this permanently removed from my record?

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got an MIP, is there anyway to have this permanently removed from my record?

The cops showed up at a party I was at; I had 2 sips of a beer. When the police asked me if I had been drinking, I admitted that I had a sip of alcohol. I am 20 years old. He continued to ask if I was drunk and I said no. I was breathalyzed and blew a 0.00. Since I told the truth, I still got the MIC and a $100 fine.

Asked on April 29, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The best answer is maybe.  Your answer indicates that you have already been to court and entered a plea-- or mailed in a plea.  If your MIP case has already been disposed of, you may still be eligible for special type of expunctions just for municipal court.  To know for sure if you were eligible, take your paperwork to an attorney that handles expunctions.  Some criminal law attorneys do both-- but do not assume that a criminal law attorney handles expunctions. They are different areas of law-- and this type of expunction requires someone who has read overlapping provisions of the code. 

If you have not entered a plea yet-- but you are just facing a $100.00 fine, then take what paperwork you do have regarding the charge to a criminal attorney to see if there is a way to get a dismissal.  If the cops did or said something inappropriate, then you could potentially get the case "thrown out" by suppressing the evidence against you.  If the attorney cannot get the case thrown out, they may be able to work a deal for you where you can earn a dismissal of your case through some type of diversion program.  These programs tend to vary by jurisdiction, so make sure that you consult with an attorney or attorneys that are familiar with the court where your case is pending.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption