If I filed for a divorce 20 months ago but it has not yet been granted, is there anything that I can do?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I filed for a divorce 20 months ago but it has not yet been granted, is there anything that I can do?

My husband would not sign the divorce papers. So I paid $50 extra to have him served. I have been to court 3 times. I paid $500 for the divorce. It’s been 9 months. I don’t understand I have done everything. Do you know why I’m having such a hard time. My life is on hold’ I just want to go on with it. We’re not fighting over anything. Kids are grown, were not fighting over money. I just want my madian name back.

Asked on September 9, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

A basic uncontested divorce has three components (1) filing of a petition (2) service or waiver by the respondent and (3) entry of a final decree.
If he has been served, then you just need to call the court, ask when you can come and do your "prove-up", and then appear and put on your "prove-up" testimony. 
From the facts that you are describing, I can't tell you exactly why the court has not granted your divorce.  If you didn't have him properly served, that could be a reason.  If he didn't answer the door, and he wasn't personally served, then you would need to ask the court for alternative service (which could be by posting notice on the door).  That requires another motion, order, and re-service.   
If the judge is telling you that your service is good, then the issue may be that the judge is not satisfied with your final decree.  If you are using one of the new pro se forms available online, then you may want to have an attorney review it to see what is missing -- and then to assist you to make any changes that would satisfy the court.
The quickest and easiest way to get your divorce is to see if he will sign off on the decree as well.  He's probably ready to get the divorce finalized as well.  If you both agree with the wording, then the judge will have even more motivation to grant your divorce and approve your decree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption