If I currently worked for a company and my boss fired me because I got sick with kidney failure?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I currently worked for a company and my boss fired me because I got sick with kidney failure?

He will not give me my check unless I sign a paper saying that he did not fire me which he did and that I can never work at another moving company again. I have a doctors note saying I can work. I need to know what my rights are.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First of all, he can not hold your last pay check hostage like that.  In Arizona, if he does not timely provide your with your final check, you can sue and recover treble (triple) damages.  This year, they changed the time frame slightly for people who were terminated.  The requirement now is that the employer must pay the terminated employee within seven days or by the next end of a pay period, whichever comes last.  The statutes are ARS 23-353 and 23-355.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption