What to do about my job termination and a denial of my unemployment claim?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about my job termination and a denial of my unemployment claim?

I was terminated from my job, filed for unemployment but was denied. During the fact finding interview the employer never answered the phone and I was not able to defend myself. My doctor took me off work due to depression and anxiety; I exhausted my FMLA during this time and the employer put me on personal leave. They told me that I would have to return back to work on the18th of last month, if not I would I would recieve a point for each day that I was done until I was terminated. I did not go and see my doctor until the 24th and I would be at max points on the 21st. Do I have any legal action?

Asked on October 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From the complicated facts that you have written about leading to your termination I suggest that you consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with your local department of labor about the situation what happened to you. From what you have written, it appears that you very well could have a viable claim for wrongful termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption