If there was no justified reason to get fired and no documentation, can I sue my employer for wrongful termination?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If there was no justified reason to get fired and no documentation, can I sue my employer for wrongful termination?

Asked on October 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Idaho


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Idaho is what is called an "at-will" employment state.  This means that an employer can terminate an employee at anytime for any reason or for no reason at all.  They are not required to tell you why they chose not to keep you, only that they are ending the employment relationship.

However, there are a few exceptions under the employment laws in Idaho to the at-will employment doctrine.  The first is if the employee can show that they actually had some type of employment contract for a certain term.  Vague discussions are not enough.  The second exception is if the employee for terminated for an unlawful purpose-- i.e. for being a whistleblower, for discriminatory purposes, etc.  If you have information that would support the termination was for an invalid purpose, then you could sue for wrongful termination.  If you have not filed for unemployment-- you might start there.  If they decide to oppose your receipt of benefits, then they must give a reason to the unemployment comp agency. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption