Whar are my rights if I bought a storage unit and found safe deposit keys inside?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whar are my rights if I bought a storage unit and found safe deposit keys inside?

I bought a storage unit and found keys for a safe deposit box inside. I also have death certificates for the owner. Am I able to retrieve the contents of the box and my own since I have purchased these keys? If so, how do I go about doing so?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although it may appear on the surface that the you also bought the contents left in the unit, I would not advise that you do anything with those keys other than to return them to the owners or the bank and explain what happened.  Put another way, you may have purchased the keys but that does not give you rights to anything BUT the keys.  You have no rights to the contents of the box.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption