If I am being harassed by another tenant, can they be evicted?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am being harassed by another tenant, can they be evicted?

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In every lease, there is a covenant of quiet enjoyment, which means that a tenant cannot be disturbed in his or her use and enjoyment of the premises.  A tenant who is harassing you constituting a breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment can be evicted by the landlord.

Depending on what exactly the tenant has been doing to harass you, the tenant's action may constitute a nuisance which would result in eviction. 

It would be advisable to pursue this as a breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment instead of nuisance because the covenant of quiet enjoyment is much broader than the acts that have been specifically designated as a nuisance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption