I am being blamed for an accident that was the other guy’s fault.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am being blamed for an accident that was the other guy’s fault.

I was driving on a motorcycle Northbound on Highway 19 in Florida. An SUV coming Southward made a U-turn at an intersection and pulled right out in front of me. I hit the brakes and my bike went down. I got pretty banged up and I broke a couple of ribs. Several people stopped to have a look and then a fire truck,the police and finally an ambulance showed up. Now I know I heard the other driver telling people that he had made a U-turn and did not see me coming. I can’t remember if any of the EMTs or police officers were there or he was just talking to the bystanders but I know he said it at least 3 times. After they took care of me in the emergency room and admitted me and got me in a room, a policeman showed up and gave me a citation. I asked him why and he said that the accident was my fault. I guess the other driver had changed his story and was now saying that he was driving straight up the highway and I just rear-ended him out of nowhere. I don’t know what kind of Investigation they did but it seems like they should have gotten my story. It seems that they are just taking his word for it and not even asking me. The thing is I would like to fight this because I know I am in the right. But I am on SSI and cannot afford

a lawyer. Any ideas?

Asked on December 20, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The only way to fight a ticket is in court: you can't make the other driver change his story or the officer take back or modify the ticket. All you can do is go to court on the ticket trial date, speak to the prosecutor and tell him/her your version; then if the prosecutor wants to proceed or go ahead on the ticket and you still want to fight it, tell your story to the judge in open court under oath. You can also present any other testimony or evidence (e.g. if there other witnesses who support your version); and the prosecutor will present his/her evidence showing that you were careless (e.g. the testimony of the other driver); the judge will then decide what most likely happened.
Note that if you want a trial, assume you'll have to go to court at least twice: the first scheduled day to speak to the prosecutor then plead guilty, and then come back again for the actual trial. When you talk to the prosecutor, however, he or she may (rarely) decide to dismiss the charges; or (more likely) may offer you a plea to a lesser offense (fewer points and/or a small fine). If offered a favorable plea, you are encouraged to take it: as stated, going to trial takes more time and you are never sure of the outcome.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Related Links

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption