What to do if I’m being accused of intentionally making false statements via Facebook and verbally to a third party?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being accused of intentionally making false statements via Facebook and verbally to a third party?

This in regards to molestation accusations as to my niece and her mother’s boyfriend. The accusations have been documented in a child custody case. The lawyer stated he has evidence that I have done so and must retract my statement via Facebook within 10 days and that this doesn’t prevent his client from taking action for “inter alia libel, defamation and tortuous interference” against me. Can I request proof or a copy of said evidence?

Asked on November 14, 2013 under Personal Injury, Florida


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should beware of making such statements in a public foru.  You can be sued for defamation even if there is a custody case where the allegations exist.  

You may certainly request proof of the evidence the lawyer states he may have.  However, he has no obligation to provide and is unlikely to do so unless or until an court action is filed. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption