What can I do if I think that I am a victim of workplace retaliation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I think that I am a victim of workplace retaliation?

I am a supervisor at my place of employment. I recently reported a harassment claim against another supervisor. Immediately after I did so, the general manager accused me of having an affair with another co-worker. The supervisor I reported has also started writing down every move I make and conversations he sees me having while at work. He then reports back to the general manager. I feel very uncomfortable around both of them and it’s difficult to concentrate at work. Is this considered retaliation?

Asked on January 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Assuming the harassment claim you reported was harassment made illegal by the law--e.g. sexual harassment, or harassment of someone due to his/her race, religion, age over 40, or disability--then it is illegal for the employer (i.e. for its managers, supervisors, etc.) to retaliate against you for reporting it, and you may have a legal claim for compensation. The law protects the right to report these sorts of harassment or discrimination at work. You could speak to  the federal EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency, or else consult with an employment law attorney about possibly bringing a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption