How to transfer title of property located in other country?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to transfer title of property located in other country?

My spouse has a piece of land in the Philippines which she inherited from her parents. She wants to transfer the title to our daughter. What does she needs to do. We are US citizens living in CA.

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way for your wife to transfer legal title to a piece of land in the Phillipines that she inherited from her parents to your daughter is for her to contact a title insurance company (escrow company) located near the land that you want title transferred and see if they can draw up the necessary deed, establish the necessary escrow and record.

If it can, then your wife can sign the deed in California before a notary public and overnight it (original signed deed) to the escrow company for recording. You need to make sure that the intended transfer does not trigger any gift tax situations for your wife in the Phillipines or the United States.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption