How to save my status if I’m not in school with F1 any more ?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to save my status if I’m not in school with F1 any more ?

Im an international student in F1 visa as of now and it seems like there is now way i ll be able to take class. I was wondering if there is any way to prevent or change my status rather than being out of status. Or do you suggest any steps to take in such situation.

Asked on August 26, 2012 under Immigration Law, Utah


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can apply for a change of status to B-2 (visitor) but there is no guarantee that it will be granted. If it is not, you will need to depart the US to avoid being in the US unlawfully or will need to try and reinstate your F-1 status by enrolling in the requisite number of courses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption