How to obtain a mortgage loan with my name and spouses name when only she has good credit?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to obtain a mortgage loan with my name and spouses name when only she has good credit?

My mother is giving my wife and I an acre of land. We would like to build a home on it Using the land as collateral for the mortgage loan. My wife has credit, I may have bad credit. Is it possible for my name to be on both the property deed and the loan? Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you want a loan to build a home on a parcel of land given to you free and clear where the land will be the collateral for the loan, you need to retain a mortgage broker to shop loans for you as far as amount, terms and interest rates based upon the loan applications of yourself and your wife.

Depending upon the amount desired and your credit history you may qualify for the desired loan. Whether you do so is entirely up the the lending institutions that your loan applications have been presented to.

Potentially you can have your name on both the land given to you as well as any loan secured by the property.

The best way to see about your qualifications for the desired loan is to sit down with a mortgage broker and see what products are on the market for your needs and whether or not he or she believes you will be able to qualify for them.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption