If our rental has gone into foreclosure, do we need to allow entry to a real estate agent who is representing the bank?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our rental has gone into foreclosure, do we need to allow entry to a real estate agent who is representing the bank?

The home we are renting went to auction yesterday and did not sell so it reverted to the bank. I was told a real estate company would be assigned by the bank to sell the house. We would like to buy the house and was wondering if we were required by law to allow entry to the real estate agent? How do we find out what real estate company was assigned to sell the house? We have 18 months remaining on our signed lease and all rent payments are current and are still being made to keep the lease agreement in force. As I said, we want to buy the house.

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You must let the bank's realtor in, unfortunately  on reasonable notice, to sell the house; the bank is now the owner (and your landlord) and the owner of property has the right to show it to sell it. The tenants cannot refuse entry to the owner or his, her, or its agents, though again, the realtor should provide reasonable notice and only enter at reasonable times (e.g. not late at night).

To find out what realtor is selling the house, try contacting the bank; try looking through the internet listings; ask the realtor(s) who show up; and if you know any realtors personally, ask them--they should know or be able to find out. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption