How to file a lien on a property?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to file a lien on a property?

We are a business who wants to file a lien on a property in which our customers are subcontractors on the property. How is this done?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you are entitled to file a lien on a piece of property depends upon the situation you are writing about in that the filing of a lien prior to a judgment against a person in the state of California is allowed only by statute and in limited situations. Examples would be if you are a licensed California contractor and/or if any written contract allows for a pre-judgment lien filing.

If you have a judgment against a person, all you need to do is have an abstract of judgment issued and then record it in the county assessor's office where the real property of the judgment debtor is located.

I recommend that you consult with a debt collection attorney about the subject you are writing about for more answers to your question.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption