How do I deal with a bench warrant?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I deal with a bench warrant?

I was pulled over for driving with a suspended license. My car was towed and was given a court date. I missed my court date and now I have a warrant out for my arrest. I was never notified and besides the warrant, I now owe about $1000 in tickets. I’m 19. How can I deal with this without an attorney since I’m really in debt with no job and no help from parents?

Asked on December 12, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ok so you would probably be entitled to appointed counsel under the law and you should ask for that and go see Legal Aid asap.  You need some one to run interference for you with the bench warrant and negotiate the matter.  The fines and fees will keep going up and you will probably not be able to get the car until they are paid.  I would borrow that money asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption