How to prevent adverse possession?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to prevent adverse possession?

I built a paver patio up to my neighbors fence 9 years ago. Now that I am

selling my house the neighbor has informed me that their property line is actually 8 in my side of the fence. Since my neighbor is concerned about adverse possession, they want to move the fence to the very edge of their property line. I would like to avoid digging up the patio. Could adverse possession be claimed for such a small strip of land? Could I have my buyer

sign some sort of agreement saying they won’t attempt to possess the 8 of land on my side of the fence? Perhaps a rental agreement for 0 for 15 years?

Asked on September 11, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help here.  The Doctrine of Adverse Possession is reglated by statute - open, notorious, etc. - but takes 21 years in Ohio.  A continuous 21 years.  How long as the fence been up?  There is, though, somethin in Ohio called title by acquiescense, which is different and you need to discuss with a lawyer.  An action to resolve the dispute over the land is known as an action to "quiet title" and can be brought by either of you.  While you have come up with creative ways around it in the contract, you need to disclose this or there can be ramifications.  I am fairy certain a buyer is not going to sign under the circumstances.  Perhaps you could purchas the 8 feet?  And then make it part of your property description legally?  Good luck.
Golubski v. United States Plastic Equipment, LLC, 2015-Ohio-4239.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption