As a peace officer, can I set up a trust to protect my assets from a lawsuit?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a peace officer, can I set up a trust to protect my assets from a lawsuit?

Can I set up a trust to protect myself in case someone decides to sue me for actions in the purview of my position? While my office would provide some legal assistance what is to prevent someone suing me in civil court?

Asked on January 10, 2011 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to give more information here as to what you do but generally speaking, if you are sued for actions that are within the purview of your employment then they should defend and indemnify you as well.  But it always good to plan ahead and this could be an opportunity to estate plan as well.  Yes, a trust can protect property from attachment from most creditors but it depends on how the trust is worded and what type of trust it is.  Sometimes if you retain too much control the creditor can seek to have the transfer of the property set aside as fraudulent (meaning to defraud creditors).  You need to be informed as to your options.  Maybe additional insurance (errors and omissions insurance) for you in your course of employment would be better.  Seek guidance close to home.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption