how long can belonging be left with no contact to the owner before it can be consider abandon

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how long can belonging be left with no contact to the owner before it can be consider abandon

we have have things in our home for more than 30 days with no contact from those who should be coming to get it we have tried to contact them with no response and we need to know how long we have to wait before we can get rid of it

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Estate Planning, Michigan


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area.  I suggest that you send a certified letter to the people letting them know that you will be getting rid of their property in 15 days unless the property is removed by that time.  I also suggest that you contact a local marshal that can retrieve the property and place it in storage.  the owners will then have to pay the storage company to retrieve it.  Make sure you let the owners of the property know that it will be in storage incurring storage fees as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption