How do you get your green card through marriage

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you get your green card through marriage

I have recently married a US citizen and we are
both very confused by the US immigration
website, how do I obtain my US green card to
live permanently with my husband in the states
Which form do I fill in?
Which form does he fill in?
Or do we only fill in one form.
Where do we send this form?
How long does it take?
Is there a cost?

If it helps, hes from Arkansas and Im British.

Asked on October 23, 2018 under Immigration Law, Arkansas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Did you enter the US lawfully?  If so, when and in what status?  There are multiple forms that would need to be completed by you and your US citizen spouse and multiple supporting documents will need to be provided as well.  But first, you need to clarify if you are eligible by explaining how you entered the US.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions at this time or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption