How to get my fiance his papers through marriage?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get my fiance his papers through marriage?

Well my fiance and I want to get married but he is on a work visa that will expire soon. I’m also pregnant with his child and want him to be here for the baby.

What should I do? I’m so stressed out.

Asked on October 22, 2018 under Immigration Law, Kansas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are a US citizen and your fiance is lawfully in the US, you can absolutely get married in the US while he is here lawfully and then petition for his immigrant visa as a spouse of a US citizen.  If you are not a US citizen, then it is necessary to discuss the specifics of your situation further.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions at this time or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption