How do I start a class action suit?

UPDATED: May 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I start a class action suit?

I bought a faulty car.

Asked on May 5, 2011 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Starting a class action suit is NOT an easy thing to do: briefly, 1) there must be a "class" of people who have suffered losses due to the *same* problem; 2) members of that class must agree to come on board (which means you must find or advertise for them and contact them); and (3) all the paperwork--which is considerable; and there can be a considerable expenses in finding and notifying class members--must be done correctly. If you think that there is a group of people who have suffered losses due  to the same problem as you have, then you should speak with a product liability attorney, who is better positioned to decide if there might be a class action suit--and to evalute the costs and difficulties of launching one, then, if you go ahead, to actually initiate it. Be aware that the vast majority of potential lawsuits or claims are NOT class action suits, and you could have a valid claim against manufacturer and/or dealer without it being class action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption