How do I prove that I never was arrested/convicted of a crime?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I prove that I never was arrested/convicted of a crime?

I was denied employment because of an adverse background check stating that I had a felony conviction for drugs. The report states that it came back with my name and social security number. I have never been arrested. How do I clear this?

Asked on November 11, 2010 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Well, you may want to go and seek help from an attorney in your area.  Here is what I would do though. First, get a copy of the background check or do a check yourself.  Once you have obtained a copy then you will need to go down to the court that issued the "conviction" and seek to view the court file.  You have a right if it is your conviction.  Look to see what may have happened: did someone steal your identity without your knowing?  Is there a picture in the file from the booking of the offender?  That would be a big plus.  Then you may have to contact the Prosecutor's office to try and straighten out the problem.  But how you resolve it will really depend on what you find through your investigation.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption