How do I know if I am getting a bad deal with an HOA?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I know if I am getting a bad deal with an HOA?

I have a window that is illegal by my HOA standards. Since the window was there
when i bought the house they offered to pay 50 of the install. I am not a
trusting person by nature how do i know they aren’t telling me an inflated price
to make me pay for the whole thing?

Asked on May 20, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can of course get a quote from some other installer to see if their price is reasonable or not. Bear in mind that if you and they get into a legal dispute, you may end up in litigation; and even if you represent yourself (are your own lawyer; "pro se"), you'll at least lose work time (assuming you are employed) and thus money (i.e. pay; or use up PTO for court time) from engaging in litigation. Therefore, even if you are being somewhat taken advantage of, it's likely better to pay then fight.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption