How do I get money owed and evict a tenant after she has dodged being served and not paying rent?

UPDATED: May 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get money owed and evict a tenant after she has dodged being served and not paying rent?

The tenant has not payed rent in over 4 months. I have submitted a landlord’s petition, but she could not be found to be served. My landlord went to court and the court turned him away because she could not be found. I have just filed the motion for order to post, so this court date is another month out, and we are still awaiting a decision from the judge. She has not paid me a dime since february 1st. Do I need an attorney for this and what do you think the judge’s ruling will be?

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the difficulty that you have had with respect to serving the tenant with the summons and complaint for eviction, you should retain a landlord tenant attormey to assist you in the eviction process. Most likely the attorney will expedite the process and lessen the frustration for you.

If you cannot serve the tenant with summons and complaint due to being evasive, I suggest that you hire a process server to serve the summons and complaint for the eviction upon the tenant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption