How do I get money from my spouse for both myself and our child, if he is not sending enough to support the household expenses?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get money from my spouse for both myself and our child, if he is not sending enough to support the household expenses?

My ex and I are still married with children but he has moved out of state for a job.

Asked on March 26, 2012 under Family Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would have to divorce him, to make sure you get enough support. The law does not interfere with a marriage's financial arrangements while the marriage is ongoing; it is only when a marriage is dissolved, during and at the conclusion of the divorce proceedings, that you can get a legally enforceable settlement or court order requiring your spouse to support you and your children. You should consult with a family or matrimonial (divorce) law attorney.

You may wish to look into any public assistance you may be eligible for as well, such as food stamps or housing subsidies (e.g. Section 8).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption