How do I get an estate attorney and trustee to respond to my request?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get an estate attorney and trustee to respond to my request?

I have written letters, emails and made telephone calls to both the estate attorney and trustee of my deceased parents estate in AZ for updated information and even though they have promised to send this info, nothing has been received. How do I get them to respond? I live in VT.

Asked on January 11, 2011 under Estate Planning, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for your situation.   Is there an estate that has been probated for your parents through which the trust is administered?  Then generally speaking each probate court has a mechanism for requesting information from the trustee.  Additionally,  trustees have a fiduciary obligation to you as the beneficiary of the trust and they really have to respond to you or you could file an action against them.  I may be time to hire an attorney on your own behalf to let them know that you really mean business. It will cost you money out of pocket but it may be worth it in the long run.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption