Real Estate Owned with x-boyfriend both on title

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Real Estate Owned with x-boyfriend both on title

Own house with x-boyfriend. He won’t sign the quit claim even though I am willing to pay him the amount he would get if we sold the house. Already had an appraisal done. Each paid half and agreed on the appraiser. He did not pay his half of the mortgage for September. I paid it. I also put the entire down payment on the house.

Asked on September 22, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

When co-owners of real estate cannot agree as to ownership maters, the law provides the remedy known as "partition". In such an action, the court will order that the property be divided, if possible. If not then it will order that it be soled and the proceeds be equitably distributed to the owners. First, however, any owner who wishes to keep the property can buy out the other owner(s) for fair market value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption