How do I get a case to court regarding me paying child support for children that are not mine?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a case to court regarding me paying child support for children that are not mine?

I got a divorce. The ex-wife falsely claimed me as the father while I was in jail. I have been paying for children through child support that are not mine. I have the proof. How can this go to court to stop the payments.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry that this has happened to you.  What you need to do is to bring a proceeding in court for modification of the support order and you need to put forth to the court your proof that you are not the Father of these children.  You could also ask for confirmation by requesting that the court order DNA testing on all of the children, should your proof be less than definitive.  DNA testing is really what the courts like to see, other than maybe an affidavit of paternity.   Go down to the court in which the order was issues (just a note: the proceeding has to be in the same state where the children are located) and ask them where you file the paperwork.  You may want to consider getting an attorney involved.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption