Why would my wife need my birth certificate and social security card to file for a divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Why would my wife need my birth certificate and social security card to file for a divorce?

My wife is filing for a divorce and I agreed, so I signed the papers. Now she is saying she needs my birth certificate and social security card and I don’t know why?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your wife does not need your birth certificate of social security card for her to file a marital dissolution action against you. You should ask her herself why she needs this documentation from you.

I suspect that the reason she is seeking copies of these documents is because she has retained a private detective or some company to do an asset search concerning what you have and what you do not have for division purposes as part of the marriage. Having copies of the birth certificate and the social security card will make it easier for whomever she has retained to assist her (assuming this is the prupose for the request) to obtain the desired information about you and your assets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption