How do I get out from under a non-modifiable alimony payment?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get out from under a non-modifiable alimony payment?

Divorced 6/2016. I am paying alimony 500/month x6 years. Or lump sum without penalty. I have lost my job and still owe him 31,000. Can I get out from under this?

Asked on September 18, 2017 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your attorney is correct, unfortunately. "Non-modifiable" means what it sounds like: your alimony cannot be modified, even given a change in your life circumstances. That's not to say that you can't make a motion in your divorce case and see if the court will grant you a reduction, but with non-modifiable alimony, it is VERY unlikely that they will--and even if the court did, your ex could appeal that decision with a reasonable chance of success. Trying to pay him off is likely your best option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption